Controversial/Contrarian Film Opinions
I saw a friend of mine do this and it looked fun. BRING THE HATE MOTHERFUCKERS.
- Speed Racer is a masterpiece and the Wachowskis’ only good film.
- Freddy Got Fingered is one of the funniest and most subversive films ever made.
- John Ford’s westerns aren’t that great outside of the genius of My Darling Clementine, but his non-Western films are often brilliant.
- Malick’s later films aren’t terrible but are far worse than his 70s ones with Days of Heaven being his apex.
- Steve McQueen’s Hunger is a mess.
- Kiarostami’s Taste of Cherry and The Wind Will Carry Us aren’t very good, though Where Is the Friend’s Home? is excellent.
- The Shining is Kubrick’s only truly great film out of what I’ve seen.
- Eraserhead is David Lynch’s only truly great film out of what I’ve seen, though Lost Highway is close.
- Kurosawa’s samurai/jidaigeki films are far less interesting than his ones about modern Japan.
- Jean-Luc Godard’s 60s period is his second worst after his 70s period (even if he still made a lot of masterpieces in the 60s). But after the 70s every period he had has been better than the last. His essay films are his best work yet.
- Alejandro Jodorowsky’s only truly great film is Fando y Lis, although El Topo and The Holy Mountain could be just as good if some of the more boring/annoying parts were cut out.
- Battleship Potemkin is Eisenstein’s worst feature film out of what I’ve seen.
- Mike Leigh’s early TV films are far better than Naked.
- Perceval le Gallois is Éric Rohmer’s best film.
- Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure is Tim Burton’s only good film.
- Silent Light is better than Ordet.
- Yi yi is one of Edward Yang’s worst films.
- Bruno Mattei’s Cruel Jaws is eons better than the Spielberg’s Jaws.